Software Engineer C/C++ and Java required for long term contract assignment on site in Filton (Bristol)
Overview of department:
The role is within a team of approx. 15 high calibre SW engineers working on Mission planning products for UK and overseas customers. Products are legacy applications that are being updated with new technologies to provide enhanced capabilities. A number of programmes are in development at different points in the lifecycle and an opportunity exists to deploy skills across different programmes as needed.
* A Software Engineer capable of design, development and test for software based Defence applications.
* The development languages will be C/C++ and Java.
* The Target Operating systems are Windows and Linux and are typically client-server applications.
* A background in Mission Planning Systems and/or Geographical Information Systems would be ideal, but is not essential.
* However primary emphasis of this role is SW development
* There may be occasional need to travel nationally or internationally and also collaborate remotely with colleagues at other UK and overseas sites.
* A knowledge of Web services applications and legacy techniques such as CORBA and X-motif would be advantageous but not essential.
* It would be advantageous for the applicant to have worked within a team based development organisation rather than as an individual developer and a working knowledge in system configuration and hardware and software installation would be ideal.
* Information security experience would be useful included methods locking down operating systems and deployment in a Windows and Linux environment.
* IDEs used include Eclipse and NetBeans for legacy applications.
* DOORS, Rhapsody and the Rational Team Concert configuration management system are used and a working knowledge of these tools is desirable. A knowledge of using Jenkins in an automated build and test environment would be helpful.
* Be capable of developing collaborative relationships with team members both within the SW organisation and other parts of the company, and to be able to use their and your knowledge and enthusiasm to produce high quality products in a timely manner.
* An adaptable approach and ability to context switch between multiple software projects at various stages of the software development lifecycle.
* The ability to see through the 'smoke' and focus on the prime task without distraction is essential.
* Ability to understand existing complex mathematical SW algorithms and be able to reliability and accurately introduce modifications would be ideal.
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers in the UK. Modis Europe Ltd provide a variety of international solutions that connect clients to the best talent in the world. For all positions based in Switzerland, Modis Europe Ltd works with its licensed Swiss partner Accurity GmbH to ensure that candidate applications are handled in accordance with Swiss law.
Both Modis International Ltd and Modis Europe Ltd are Equal Opportunities Employers.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis International Ltd and/ or Modis Europe Ltd. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement which explains how we will use your information is available on the Modis website.