Data is critical to everything we do, and we aim to provide a high quality, responsive service to our internal customers. Your role will be to assist in the design and delivery of the organisation's IT infrastructure services with a specific focus on Microsoft SQL server and database administration, performing the on-going management and delivering improvements to assist the organisation delver its goals by delivering quality IT systems and services. As the senior Database Administrator role in the Group Technology team this will involve working very closely with colleagues across the UK and US IT teams to deliver services and systems. Whilst the primary function of this role will be to support and develop the SQL infrastructure the role will also be the IT lead for all things data related and maintain the back-end infrastructure required to support our reporting and extract servers and services.
- Assist the Technical Architecture team design and implement systems, solutions, and services.
- Work closely with the business and IT teams to deliver and support SQL database solutions to our internal and external customers, advising on performance, scalability, and optimization
- Management and reporting of the database systems including system health, performance, and capacity reporting
- Ensure system, asset and audit documentation libraries are current.
- Assist with the creation of documentation and guidelines, including policies and procedures.
- Provide 3rd line database support to the IT and Service desk teams.
- SQL Server database architecture and design including:
- Table and index definition
- Stored procedure development and administration
- Always on Availability Groups for high availability and disaster recover
- Reactive and proactive database tuning and optimization
- Database security and hardening
- Supporting cloud-based database deployment and administration
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders, including subject matter experts and senior stakeholders from the business.
- Advise on technical requirements and review solution suitability.
- Develop, document and a maintain enterprise database solutions
- Respond promptly to database service-related incidents, liaising where necessary with both internal technical teams and external 3rd party suppliers to bring each incident to swift resolution.
- Provide pro-active technical support services to ensure appropriate system availability, reliability, and performance necessary to meet SLAs that underpin business operations.
- Update Service Desk tickets to ensure the status of calls is accurately reflected.
- Maintenance of support documentation.
- To establish, develop and maintain credibility and working relationships with staff, being an ambassador for IT and being prepared to undertake demonstrations where appropriate.
- Occasional out of hours work may be required (remote working where possible).
- Any other tasks appropriate to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven relevant working experience in Database Administration on Microsoft SQL Server.
- Logical thinker, organised and able to prioritise own workload.
- BI and reporting data warehouse experience.
- SQL integration (SSIS) and extracts.
- Understanding of ETL processes and tools.
- SQL high availability through SQL clustering and always on availability groups functionality.
- Strong team working and mentoring skills
- Experience of managing SQL on virtulised platforms.
- Good working knowledge of:
- Writing and troubleshooting SQL Code (stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints)
- Server backup tools & methodology
- Data Centre infrastructure and best practice.
- SQL Database Operational support to tech users.
- IT Ticketing systems.
- SQL disaster recovery design and backup planning and maintenance.
- Azure SQL.
- Understanding ITIL principles.
- Experience of cloud based hosting (e.g. Azure, EWS).
- Knowledge of IT Security Principles (ISO27001 InfoSec or other).
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers in the UK. Modis Europe Ltd provide a variety of international solutions that connect clients to the best talent in the world. For all positions based in Switzerland, Modis Europe Ltd works with its licensed Swiss partner Accurity GmbH to ensure that candidate applications are handled in accordance with Swiss law.
Both Modis International Ltd and Modis Europe Ltd are Equal Opportunities Employers.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis International Ltd and/ or Modis Europe Ltd. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement which explains how we will use your information is available on the Modis website.