Senior Software Engineer - Mainframe Centre of Excellence
- Technical expert in COBOL/CICS application delivery on the IBM Mainframe platform, able to act on the Banks behalf as a Technical lead and "informed purchaser" on third party development activities.
- Take responsibility for allocated incident calls and own until a satisfactory conclusion or escalate if appropriate
- Able to provide oversight and assurance to the work of solutions designers, developers and support analysts, whether Bank or third party.
- Strong communicator, able to articulate and match both business and technical.
- Is at ease in providing personal and technical feedback and coaching to others, thereby enhancing team performance.
- Able to articulate components of an outcome delivery and either assess the effort required, or challenge estimates provided.
- Ensuring high quality and value for money solutions by defining and setting design patterns and build/unit test standards and providing the necessary governance and process to ensure they are met. Provide governance related metrics to ensure future improvements and value to the Bank.
- Able to identify and justify investment opportunities for driving platform efficiency, or reducing technical debt and thereby reducing TCO.
- Be able to identify and justify investment opportunities for reducing the cycle time and cost of change on the platform, helping lead the Bank toward efficient change delivery.
- Provide support and incident fix expertise, following ITIL principles and maintaining effective change control process.
- Lead and resolve problem solving issues that arise in the day to day running of Systems within span of control, providing timely responses and solutions as required. Provide clear plans of actions for their resolutions and the ability to clearly articulate impacts to Senior Stakeholders.
- Be an active member of your community. Lead initiatives and proactively integrate with recognised Developer Bodies
- Creating and /or validating test procedures and scenarios for the pre-SIT and UAT phases
- Lead the resolution of technical issues across IT and Operational Teams and third parties during the SIT, UAT and rollout phases
- Provide clear and concise escalation to Project Managers, Incident Managers and Software Engineering Management. Can proactively identify project risk and present options and recommendations to mitigate those risks.
- Be an advocate for change in the Bank for your community
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: (Detail the experience that is necessary to enable the incumbent to perform the role competently and effectively.)
A minimum of 10 years COBOL/CICS delivery experience
- Strong experience in leading others and working with 3rd parties in order to achieve timely and quality software change
- Ability and confidence to effectively challenge others constructively, where necessary.
- Excellent problem solving and prioritisation skills
- Experience and knowledge of system analysis in a structured environment and / or support processes within an ITIL environment
- Understanding of mainframe integration patterns with other technologies and systems and the ability to both understand technical code and processes both as workflow diagram and to conceptualise it as a solution
- Experience in design and build governance and the setting of platform standards and tooling.
- A good track record in training and coaching individuals on development and delivery disciplines and / or support and incident resolution disciplines
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present technical details to a non-technical audience.
- Good written skills with the ability to produce clear and concise documentation
- The ability to work with a structured and methodical approach, combined with an enquiring mind.
- An understanding of, and a willingness to adhere to, formal change control procedures and disciplines.
- A self-starter who delivers high quality work and can adapt to new challenges, either on their own or as part of a team.
Evidence of being an active member of a technical community and providing improvements and increased value to an organisation.
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers in the UK. Modis Europe Ltd provide a variety of international solutions that connect clients to the best talent in the world. For all positions based in Switzerland, Modis Europe Ltd works with its licensed Swiss partner Accurity GmbH to ensure that candidate applications are handled in accordance with Swiss law.
Both Modis International Ltd and Modis Europe Ltd are Equal Opportunities Employers.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis International Ltd and/ or Modis Europe Ltd. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement which explains how we will use your information is available on the Modis website.