A Principal Engineer / Servo Design is required for a long term contract assignment based in Stevenage 1-2 days per week on site typically.
Overview of department:
This company is the leading European supplier of Missiles and Missile Systems. Our Actuation Systems group specialises in the design and development of missile actuation systems. An opportunity has arisen to join this dynamic team as a Principal Engineer, leading the design, development and validation of control systems across a range of actuator products.
The Engineer will work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary design team, owning the design, development and proving of control algorithms and ensuring that Customer performance requirements are successfully met. Responsibilities may include:-
* Development of control algorithms for both analogue and digital systems, typically in the control of BLDC motors.
* Modelling of Actuation Systems and conducting performance assessments.
* Identification of sub-system requirements (mechanical, electronics, software).
* Identification of suitable electromechanical components (particularly motors and sensors), working co-operatively with suppliers where needed.
* Definition of design proving plans and conducting design proving tests in support of product qualification.
* Experience utilising the MATLAB / Simulink toolset for the generation of control algorithms ready for deployment within embedded systems.
* The ability to derive governing system equations (i.e. system transfer functions) across a range of electronic and mechanical systems.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to work within a design team from a range of backgrounds.
* Knowledge of position sensors, microprocessors and software development would be beneficial.
* Knowledge of electric motors and drive / commutation strategies e.g. Field Oriented Control (FOC) or Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation (SVPWM) techniques.
* Understanding of DO-178C or DO-331 coding standards would be an advantage.
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers in the UK. Modis Europe Ltd provide a variety of international solutions that connect clients to the best talent in the world. For all positions based in Switzerland, Modis Europe Ltd works with its licensed Swiss partner Accurity GmbH to ensure that candidate applications are handled in accordance with Swiss law.
Both Modis International Ltd and Modis Europe Ltd are Equal Opportunities Employers.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis International Ltd and/ or Modis Europe Ltd. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement which explains how we will use your information is available on the Modis website.