We are looking for a Micro-Electronics Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
1. Providing technical support to ESA projects in the domain of Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) used in payloads and platforms of ESA missions of any ESA programme: Navigation, Science, Earth Observation, Telecommunications, Human Space Exploration or Technology. This technical support will involve:
a. Supervision of the end-to-end development of new FPGAs throughout all the development phases: specification, architectural design, detailed design, place and route, programming and device tests.
b. Critical review of the technical documentation, design files, hardware test platforms and software used during the different phases of the FPGA developments.
c. Providing technical feedback and advice to ESA and industry mission teams to help achieve successful and on-time/on-budget new FPGA developments and to solve problems related to already developed FPGAs.
2. Leading and/or providing support to research internal (in ESTEC Microelectronics Laboratory) and/or external (with companies contracted by ESA) activities in the domain of FPGAs devices and their tool ecosystems for use in space environment.
General tasks to be performed:
- Provision of VLSI (ASIC & FPGA) technical expertise to Projects involving requirements analysis, performance and budgets analysis, writing and assessment of VLSI specifications; review, evaluation and checking of industrial contractor's VLSI designs. Identification of design deficiencies and problem areas and proposals for their solutions.
- Design, analysis, verification of VLSI systems for control and data processing applications, and/or signal processing using industrial standard tools, hardware description and programming languages.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Applicants should have a university degree in Electronics Engineering or Physics, specialized in Microelectronics.
- Applicants should have four or more years of experience in:
o Design and test of digital FPGAs (specifications, block design, top level integration, design for test, pre and post layout simulation and timing analysis, gates synthesis, support during layout, prototype test and in system validation), with proficiency in HDL (VHDL, Verilog and System-C).
o VLSI IC Design CAD tools such as: Synopsys, CADENCE, Mentor, Mathlab and/or Simulink.
o FPGA HW and SW of several vendors such as: Xilinx, Microchip (former Microsemi, former ACTEL), NanoXplore, Altera and/or Atmel.
o Preparation of FPGA test-benches, for functional validation and electrical characterization, using signal generators, oscilloscopes and signal analyzers.
o Basic system administration in UNIX and Windows for IC Design CAD tools.
Important additional assets would be:
- Experience with Microprocessors (e.g. LEON, ARM, RISC-V) and HW-SW co-design.
- Experience with mitigation of radiation effects and/or radiation tests of FPGAs and/or ASICs.
- Experience with digital ASIC design.
- Knowledge of the Space environment, its effects on microelectronics devices and related technology, as well as ECSS quality standards applied to space VLSI ICs.
Please send your CV to email@example.com before 17/07/2020