We are looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions with an emphasis on:
- platform and payload data handling architectures and their building blocks (equipment/units, modules and key components);
- units such as on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, instrument control units*;
- digital and analogue signal processing electronics for payload/platform control functions;
- front-end acquisition and processing chain electronics*;
- on-board data transfer interfaces, buses and associated protocols (high and low speed);
- platform data handling functions related to security, data authentication, encryption, compression, machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- use of microelectronics devices.
*except for RF payloads.
The post holder will report to the Head of Section and, within the technical fields described above, the main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- providing technical support to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of platform and payload data handling systems throughout all project phases;
- participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals;
- identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes;
- defining, initiating and supporting R&D activities covering both long- and short-term needs;
- fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, with an emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- laboratory activities, as required;
- monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise;
- contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
Modis has proudly supported the Aerospace & Defence industry in the Netherlands for decades. Our partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA) has been one of the many success stories allowing our people to expand their career horizons. Modis experts are contributing to some of the most important technical advances in Aerospace and Defence which impact the way we live our lives today, through specialised engineering expertise and other required skillsets. This could be your future. Become part of our successful team!
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries.
The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC), has grown into ESA’s largest establishment and the technical and organizational hub of Europe’s space sector. Missions designed and tested at ESTEC are circling Earth, have landed on planetary bodies and have probed far into the Solar System.
The infrastructure and equipment assembled here, together with the expert knowhow of its 2800 personnel, make ESTEC a unique resource for Europe. The work done here by teams skilled in every aspect of engineering for space has enabled the creation of novel communication, navigation and information services, creating new jobs and growth while improving the lives of European and world citizens.
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Master or PhD in electronics, networks, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards). This includes the ability to design, review and simulate analogue and digital electronics for data handling units (use of FPGA/processors/micro-controllers, single-point-failure-free circuitry, failure containment techniques and use of COTS with radiation mitigation techniques).
- Knowledge in the following fields will be considered as asset:
Design and Use of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE);
Design, validation and verification of AI/ML Processing Algorithm inferred on HW/SW platform(s);
Design of electronic boards for radiation testing of analogue and digital circuitry based on COTS.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 03/06/2021