We are looking for a Radio Navigation Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
Mainly working on GALILEO Ground Segment processing facilities, in a role supporting the GALILEO Ground Mission Segment (GMS) team. In particular, the detailed specific tasks include:
- Follow-up of the procurement actions related to the implementation of a set of GMS Elements, being the Technical Officer for elements; including support to the monitoring of industrial contracts for the developments and generating and reviewing relevant documentation such technical requirements;
- Participation to GMS related Integration, Verification and Qualification (IVQ) activities, such as test cases definition and preparation, formal tests witnessing, Verification Credit collection at Element and Segment level, anomalies follow-up at Element, Segment and System level;
- Evaluation of GMS design, with a specific focus on GMS Operations and Operability Improvements, Galileo Services provision, On-line and Off-line Monitoring, System Reporting, Mission Support and Mission Processing, and evolutions of the GMS architecture and design (e.g. virtualisation, data centric processing, etc.);
- Support to GMS engineering activities, as well as Galileo System level engineering activities, such as requirement engineering, change management and baseline evolutions (DCPs/DCNs), assessment of contractor’s RFDs/RFWs;
- Contribution to GMS and System reviews.
General tasks to be performed:
- Radio Navigation system (GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO etc.) and augmentation (EGNOS, WAAS, QZSS etc.). The work includes studies: analyses and testing of navigation systems/segments/elements/technology, dissemination and navigation algorithms, including tools development; evaluation of Navigation/Positioning/Timing algorithm and techniques, user/system/segment performance assessment based on software simulators, laboratory and field measurements, and support to ESA projects in follow up of industrial procurements.
- Radio Navigation equipment covering space applications. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of navigation/positioning/ranging/monitoring technology and receiver for space. Radio Navigation space applications performed at ESA include: scientific applications (atmospheric sounding, oceanic observation), formation flying, rendezvous and attitude determination.
- Radio Navigation equipment for terrestrial applications. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of navigation receivers/technology for terrestrial applications and local augmentation. Radio Navigation terrestrial applications performed at ESA are those related with high performance based on high accuracy (e.g. geodesy) and/or high integrity (e.g. civil aviation, maritime).
- Radio Navigation signals and signal processing. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of signal and signal processing techniques including tools/equipment development and procurement. It encompasses signal structure, modulations, data dissemination, techniques for error correction, synchronisation, multipath mitigation and estimation, interference mitigation, cancellation, encryption, authentication, etc.
- Radio Navigation Laboratory equipment. The work includes definition procurement design, testing, usage of Radio Navigation equipment in support to Radio Navigation experiments and test campaigns.
- Assistance in preparation of invitation to tenders related to ESA Projects and R&D activities and contracts technical follow-up.
- Specific engineering support to space projects developed by ESA and/or by major European industries/operators.
- Validation of designs by means of analyses, simulations, laboratory testing and field trials (possibly in co-operation with third parties).
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for technological projects.
- Execution of internal R&D activities through design, prototyping, analysis and simulations.
- Simulation and testing in laboratory of Navigation systems and equipment.
- Preparation of technical documents on above subjects.
- Support to related demonstrations inside and outside ESTEC.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- University degree (MSc minimum) in telecommunications and signal processing or electronic engineering, as well as experience in these fields.
- Specific knowledge in the design and testing of Radio Navigation systems and equipment
- Strong knowledge on the design of satellite navigation systems, ranging and positioning techniques, signal processing techniques and GNSS security and processing facilities.
- Knowledge on virtualization and data centric processing is an asset.
- The specialist shall in particular have several years of experience relevant with the GNSS and GALILEO systems and equipment and have good knowledge of Radio Navigation processing, simulation and testing systems.
- Specialist in the implementation, maintenance and operation of complex Radio Navigation processing, simulation and test facilities for spacecraft, aircraft, maritime and land mobile applications.
- Candidates must be eligible for security clearance from their national security administration.
Please send your CV to email@example.com before 09/07/2020