We are looking for a Technology Management Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
Within the Future Missions and Instruments Division (EOP-8M), the Technology Coordination and Frequency Management Section
(EOP-8MT) is responsible for two following main tasks:
- First, the identification of technology requirements for future Earth Observation (EO) missions. A solid collaboration with the other sections of the division and with other divisions in the EOP directorate and ESA’s technical directorate is essential for this work. The nature of the work requires a wide knowledge in engineering disciplines with a natural inclination for learning and understanding new technologies in connection to EO space systems.
- Second, the analysis and monitoring of the evolution of frequency needs for EO missions, including early concepts and potential interference conflicts with other communication services sharing the spectrum.
The Contractor will provide engineering support in the area of EO Technology Development for the following tasks:
- Support the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions, covering the whole spectrum (mainly platform and ground stations network, but also support to optical and RF instruments).
- Provide support to technology developments for future EO missions, in particular for the standardisation of the platform and for the communications with the ground segment.
- Initiate, conduct internal studies and support the review of the results of industrial activities and in the area of technology development and modelling of end-to-end system (e.g. data flow, technical budgets) or on-board sub-system aspects.
- Support the definition and monitoring of missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls, including sub-system performance analyses or technology maturity aspects.
- Support the EO technology observatory function outside the EOP Directorate (e.g. ESA Technology Harmonisation, ARTES), and also outside ESA (e.g. other space agencies, Horizon Europe in the EC, commercial initiatives under NewSpace, and the potential spin-in from non-space sectors).
- Support the interaction within ESA and also with ESA's Member States on EO future technologies e.g. through dedicated information days.
- Building up relevant IT repositories with information about technology developments or new mission concepts of relevance to Earth Observation
Modis has proudly supported the Aerospace & Defence industry in the Netherlands for decades. Our partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA) has been one of the many success stories allowing our people to expand their career horizons. Modis experts are contributing to some of the most important technical advances in Aerospace and Defence which impact the way we live our lives today, through specialised engineering expertise and other required skillsets. This could be your future. Become part of our successful team!
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries.
The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC), has grown into ESA’s largest establishment and the technical and organizational hub of Europe’s space sector. Missions designed and tested at ESTEC are circling Earth, have landed on planetary bodies and have probed far into the Solar System.
The infrastructure and equipment assembled here, together with the expert knowhow of its 2800 personnel, make ESTEC a unique resource for Europe. The work done here by teams skilled in every aspect of engineering for space has enabled the creation of novel communication, navigation and information services, creating new jobs and growth while improving the lives of European and world citizens.
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Master's degree in Engineering with relevant background and experience in space projects and associated technology developments.
- Candidates should have several years of experience in the development of advanced on-board system and sub-technologies for space applications, ideally in the EO domain.
- Candidates should have experience in Space Projects for Earth Observation.
- Experience with System (Performance) Simulation and End-to-End Satellite Data Flow, including data processing, is desirable.
- Good knowledge of remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions.
- Experience in Matlab, STK or similar tools.
- Pro-active in organising and building up electronic means to share the technology knowledge with larger groups.
- Proficient in the English language (Spoken and Written).
Please send your CV to email@example.com before 05/10/2021