Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
About ESA ECSAT
The European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT) is ESA’s new facility in the United Kingdom. It is based at the Harwell Science, Innovation and Business Campus in Oxfordshire.
ECSAT is the most recent addition to ESA’s operational sites across Europe. First opened in 2009, ECSAT will be developed by ESA following agreements reached between the UK and ESA in November 2012. ECSAT will support activities related to telecommunications, integrated applications, climate change, technology and science.
We are looking for a Telecommunications Satellite Payload Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in Harwell, United Kingdom.
Specific tasks to be performed:
The contractor will be responsible for the management of activities devoted to the development of satellite payload technology and products under the responsibility of the Payload Technology Section including:
- Initiating, monitoring and controlling space segment technology and product development activities for satellite communications under the ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) and other ARTES programme lines, with a focus on digital communication technologies.
- Liaising with the Procurement Department, the Strategic Programme Line Managers and other relevant Departments of ESA as necessary to fulfil this role.
- Supporting activities of the Ground Segment Section and the creation and implementation of ARTES partnership projects;
- Reporting regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- Identifying and defining product and technology needs for future satellite communication services, in particular for digital communication technology and products;
- Supporting the promotion of the ARTES 4.0 programme and the ARTES socio-economic impact analysis;
- Coordinating the provision of expert technical support from other ESA organisational units (e.g. TEC) as required to ensure an effective initiation and management of activities.
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- At least 4 years of relevant experience combined with a Master degree or equivalent qualification in Telecommunications or Engineering.
- Experience in managing technology development activities carried out by industry for commercial satellite communication;
- Knowledge of satellite communication system architectures, products and market;
- Experience in the specification, design, development and testing of at least one of the following: digital signal processors, communication modems, digital and/or mixed signal ASICs, software defined radios;
- Behavioral Competences:
o Results Orientation;
o Planning and Organisation;
o Stakeholder Relationship Management;
- Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes would be distinct asset.
- Applicants should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and contract/subcontract management experience. Experience in space segment technology and equipment as well as subsystem design and development is required. Experience in the satellite telecommunication industry would be a distinct advantage.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 08/07/2020