Manager, Data Services
Responsible for the strategic direction of data architecture and the implementation of engineering, reporting, and analytics practices for the enterprise. The incumbent is also responsible for systems maintenance and initiatives related to all data services (both vendor and internal packages). Manages both vertically and horizontally within the Information Technology Department to coordinate with portfolio management, production support, operations, and infrastructure staff. This position has overall responsibility for determining data systems direction and architecture, prioritization of data related project work, assurance of quality results, compliance with company guidelines, and maintenance of the data architectural platform under the guidance of the Assistant Vice President of Application Services.
- In cooperation with third party vendors assure successful completion and support of the data responsibilities of new systems platforms. Assure continued architectural integrity in the enterprise data platform and establish a continuous improvement process to keep the platform current
- Working with the Business Partners, maintain the data systems environment as part of 'Run the Business' responsibilities.
- Complete system enhancements and testing to implement new products approved by the Product Committee as part of 'Grow the Business' responsibilities.
- Lead the design and development of improved technology solutions to enhance business processing as part of 'Change the Business' responsibilities. Assure that the individuals in the data services staff have the necessary skill sets and attributes to implement advanced technology solutions.
- In cooperation with other Information Technology management build and manage a skilled staff of people to support new systems platform requirements and initiatives. Complete employee hiring, development, performance reviews, discipline, coaching, etc. to build and maintain a high performing organization. The incumbent will work in close cooperation with other key Information Technology management staff to coordinate completion of all Human Resource related responsibilities.
- Will lead and have ownership of enterprise Data Governance and Master Data Management, in cooperation with Senior Leadership and Executive Staff throughout the enterprise.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Prioritize and complete work
- Decision making skills
- Proactive in identifying opportunities as well as responding to problems
- Excellent knowledge and experience with modern technology tools
- High level of expertise in data services practices
- Ability to clearly communicate system enhancement requirements and be able to inspect the work product of all staff working on data system changes
- Excellent knowledge in a variety of technical areas including data extraction, data quality and MDM, data integration, data discovery, search, analytics, and visualization
- Excellent knowledge in Microsoft specific data technologies, including SQL Server and related technologies, Azure database services, and Azure analytics services
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree Business Technology or similar degree required
- 10+ years’ experience in data practices implementations
- 3+ years’ experience in managing data practices teams
- 2+ years Life insurance experience/knowledge preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- None required
- Completion of LOMA insurance courses I and II required within first year of employment.
Supervision & Leadership
- Manages a small team of reporting developers, data analysts, and data engineers in support of NWL’s business and project initiatives
Manager, Data Services
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
National Western Life provides high quality insurance products on a global basis to meet the financial security needs of well-defined market segments. We provide professional and friendly service to our policyholders and agents and are responsive to the needs of our employees, shareholders and the community.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
To read our Candidate Privacy Information Statement, which explains how we will use your information, please navigate to https://www.modis.com/en-us/candidate-privacy
The Company will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records