If you're interested in engineering and remote jobs, you should know the information technology (IT) industry is booming.
- Experts predict a 12% growth in tech employment by 2028 resulting in 546,200 new tech jobs.
- A Dice Tech Job Report shows tech job postings were up during the first three months of the year, topping 300,000 in March.
- There are 4.7 million Americans working remotely (up from 3.9 million U.S. workers in 2015)
Remote work can be rewarding in many ways, but as demand grows it is becoming harder to land a job. Data from Bersin shows it takes companies an average of 52 days to fill an open position.
At Modis, we want to help you succeed. So, if you're looking for remote jobs, read on to learn about some great roles in the IT industry that might be exactly what you need.
Let's get started...
Will remote work become the norm?
Recently, we've seen an increase in remote work in the face of COVID-19.
Although the rise in remote work was born out of necessity it's too early to say whether remote working is the new normal.
But, the fact is that remote work from home jobs are available despite record unemployment. The economic outlook is uncertain and the labor market downturn points to a recession. Joblessness is predicted to fall as the year continues.
Working remotely is changing from benefit to necessity according to a new survey from LinkedIn. We've seen companies shift aggressively into remote workin the wake of the pandemic including Facebook, Twitter, Shopify, and Google.
What you need to know about IT & engineering jobs
First and foremost, you should know that IT workers are no exception to the trend of increased remote work, either; more “remote" IT jobs are opening up. Of course, there are limitations to who can work remotely since some IT workers work directly with physical servers and equipment. Remote IT positions usually entail providing knowledge and support from a distance.
According to The Future of Remote Work Report, the top five countries hiring remote workers are:
- The United States
- The United Kingdom
Bureau of Labor Statistics data shows computer and information technology jobs are expected to grow 12% between 2018 and 2028 with 546,200 new jobs projected to be added during this time. This makes it the perfect time to consider entering the IT field.
Now Hiring: Remote IT jobs
Now that you know about the opportunities available, you're probably wondering how to find the best remote IT jobs. Here are just a few of the in-demand tech jobs that can be done remotely and that companies are looking to hire for right now:
- IT Project Manager - Project managers oversee all aspects of projects including setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, and monitoring and summarizing progress. Project managers earn a $79,056 median base salary.
- Software Engineer - Software engineers create and design new software, support and install applications and operating systems, and participate in software certification. They earn a $100,024 median base salary.
- System Administrator - Network/systems design and administration encompasses many roles. Broadly speaking, they design computer networks. For example, Citrix Administrators -- who earn a $91,256 median base salary -- are responsible for maintaining Citrix applications.
- Database Administrator - Database administrators provide technical support for the development, implementation and maintenance of internal databases. They also maintain policies and procedures for ensuring database security and integrity. The median base salary for database administrators is $90,040.
- Information Security Analyst - Information security analysts instruct computer users on security policies and procedures and monitor network activity to make sure data is protected from unauthorized users. The median base salary for this role is $97,208.
- Computer Systems Analyst - Computer systems analysts work to improve IT systems in an organization and oversee the installation and configuration of systems to customize them to fit the organization's needs. The median base salary for this role is $83,256
- Computer Network Architect - Network architects use scripting languages like Ruby and Python to plan, design, analyze, and provide technical support for data communications networks or groups of networks. Their median base salary is $125,040.
- Computer Systems Administrator - Systems administrators maintain and operate computer systems or networks. They also install, support, and manage servers and resolve issues as needed. Their median base salary is $68,040
- Cybersecurity Engineer - Information security engineers manage security tools within an environment. They assist in oversight and ongoing management of information security programs and technical systems and network security devices. Their median base salary is $104,056.This list is only a peek into the many open remote IT positions available.
You can start an IT career, here's how
Submitting your resume is just the first step to finding new opportunities from entry level remote IT jobs to more senior positions. At Modis, we can connect you to IT and engineering opportunities.
Now that you've learned more about remote work opportunities in the IT and engineering fields why not search the available positions on our website using the keyword "remote"? You may be a few clicks away from an exciting remote IT position!