We are looking for an Attitude and Orbit Control Systems Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
- AOCS architecture
- AOCS Design and Tuning
- AOCS Validation and Verification
- AOCS HW procurement
- AOCS Support to Spacecraft Operations
General tasks to be performed:
- Definition and implementation of AOCS (Attitude and Orbit Control Systems) for Earth Observation, Telecom, Navigation satellites and for Astronomy Observatories. The functional support provided to these projects (e.g. Sentinel, Earth Care, MTG, Alphasat, Small GEO, Galileo, GAIA, Solar Orbiter, …) includes
o Participation to project reviews (SRR, PDR CDR, …).
o AOCS design, analyses and simulations (control loops design and modelling, FDIR, independent simulator set-up, functional verification and performance budgets).
o Review of AOCS SW implementation.
o Sensors and actuators selection and procurement support.
o AIV/AIT support (test benches, review of test plans and test results).
o Operations support (review of Operations Manual, rehearsal and LEOP).
o Support to in-orbit analysis.
- Conception, initialisation and supervision of corresponding enabling AOCS technology R/D: High Accuracy Pointing, Generic AOCS Architecture & Building Blocks, Innovative AOCS & FDIR Solutions including prototyping and tools development.
- Sensors and inertial actuators technology development: APS, Star Trackers, sun sensors, Earth sensors, magnetometers, gyros, accelerometers, magneto-torquers, reaction wheels, CMG’s.
- Development and utilisation of the Control Hardware Laboratory (e.g. sensor characterisation and testing).
- Maintenance, development and set-up of AOCS simulation tools.
- Participation to the elaboration and promotion of ECSS standards in the E60 domain.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Master degree in Control and Aerospace Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in AOCS engineering in European industry or institutional entity.
- Background experience in AOCS Design, Validation and Testing as well as AOCS HW procurement.
- Exposure to full cycle of AOCS development from Phase A to Phase E is an asset.
- Proven experience in the HW knowledge (sensors, computer, actuators).
- AOCS AIT at subsystem and system level.
- Proven knowledge of commercial model-based design tools (MATLAB).
- Ability to interface with industry.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 22/05/2020