We are looking for an End-to-End Mission Performance Engineer S-4 (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
- The assessment of the delivered scientific processing algorithm in Python.
- The assessment of the delivered Instrument Quality Tool IQT v2-alpha and its ability to process real instrument data (PFM Focal Plane SubSystem data , S4 enhanced EM data, …).
- The assessment of the delivered Level-1 Reference Processor and perform a comparison of the results with the IQT.
- The development, implementation and validation of (complex) key data generation tools for the instrument calibration and performance verification tasks, as defined in the S4 on-ground calibration plan and in the L1b processing specification;
- The support to the closed-loop testing between the S4/UVN measurement data, the IQT v2 and the calibration keydata to demonstrate adequacy, completeness and accuracy of the level-0 to level-1b data processing algorithms and the calibration keydata.
- The contribution to meetings within ESA, industry and EUMETSAT.
The Contractor will report to the S4 Principal Engineer.
General tasks to be performed:
The contractor will provide support to Earth Observation Projects (currently S5 and S4) in the domain of End-to-end (E2E) Mission Performance covering both software and algorithm aspects. They will work integrated in the relevant Project Teams and will report to the System Manager (or equivalent role within the Project). The support will address :
- the technical definition, the procurement and the verification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software chain including in particular the Instrument Simulator and the Level 1 Processor Prototype algorithms
- the definition and execution or supervision of activities within and outside ESA to ensure the E2E mission performance, in particular at Level-1.
To do this they will contribute to the activities of the other staff and contractors, interfacing with internal (e.g. Instrument Engineer,
GS Engineer) and external (e.g. Industry, Mission Scientist, Level 2 team, EUMETSAT) actors as needed.
Their specific duties will include:
- Contribute to the overall specification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain (from Scene Generation up to Level-2);
- Monitoring the development of the Instrument Simulator Software developed through an ESA contract with industry;
- Monitoring the development of the Level 1 Prototype Processor Software developed through an ESA contract with industry;
- Monitoring the development and integration of the overall E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components;
- Reviewing the Level-1 and Instrument Simulator algorithms and input/output interfaces;
- Ensuring that the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components and algorithms meet the required functionality and performance, taking into account system, instrument, geophysical model and calibration/validation facility aspects;
- Installing, maintaining and operating an up to date copy of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software at ESTEC;
- Analysing impacts on the mission performance resulting from deviations during the development programme;
- Ensuring the proper verification and validation methods are proposed and implemented;
- Supporting the standardisation and the harmonisation between the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and related Products between S4, S5 and S5P;
- Supporting Test Data production and verification;
- Supporting the analysis of the data collected during on-ground and in-orbit calibration and characterisation campaigns;
- Developing any needed software tool to support all the mentioned activities;
- Providing necessary inputs for the relevant internal and external meetings.
In performing the above duties the Contractor will work closely with the other staff of the S5 and S4 programme.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- The Candidate shall have a Master degree in Physics or Engineering with demonstrated background and experience in data processing.
- Candidates shall demonstrate good familiarity with computer programs/languages such as C/C++, Python and MATLAB and with Unix operating system.
- Good communication skills.
- Candidate shall demonstrate familiarity with L0 to L1b data processing of optical instrument using CCD technology.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 05/06/2020