We are looking for a Micro-Electronics Engineer (E3) to join our Akkodis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
General tasks to be performed:
- Provision of VLSI (ASIC & FPGA) technical expertise to Projects involving requirements analysis, performance and budgets analysis, writing and assessment of VLSI specifications; review, evaluation and checking of industrial contractor's VLSI designs. Identification of design deficiencies and problem areas and proposals for their solutions.
- Design, analysis, verification of VLSI systems for control and data processing applications, and/or signal processing using industrial standard tools, hardware description and programming languages.
- Technical and administrative management of the ESA SystemC and synthesizable VHDL IP Core pool of designs. This work will involve: optimisation, update and overall maintenance and of the ESA VHDL IP Cores databases, provision of technical support to ESA IP Cores users (performing analysis and finding solutions to problems in VHDL code, documentation or design methodology) holding a strong collaboration with our Contracts department in arranging and solving licences and patent issues. Advertising the ESA IP service (website, workshops, etc.), handling IP cores requests and their distribution.
- The post holder will support ASIC and/or FPGA technology developments for R&D and /or projects, supervising that good design practices and manufacturing and test methodologies are applied. In addition, independent verification (through code inspection, simulation and timing analysis) and validation (through HW tests) will have to be carried out for some ASIC and FPGAS developments.
- When asked to support development contracts regarding the above areas, act as the activity technical responsible, maintain interfaces with the prime contractors, participate in progress meetings and reviews, as requested, and provide appropriate feedback on the achieved progress and discussions.
- When supporting projects, interface with ESA’s project teams, the prime and lower level contractors, participate in progress meetings and reviews, as requested by project work, and provide appropriate feedback on the achieved progress and discussions.
Akkodis has proudly supported the Aerospace & Defence industry in the Netherlands for decades. Our partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA) has been one of the many success stories allowing our people to expand their career horizons. Akkodis experts are contributing to some of the most important technical advances in Aerospace and Defence which impact the way we live our lives today, through specialised engineering expertise and other required skillsets. This could be your future. Become part of our successful team!
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries.
The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC), has grown into ESA’s largest establishment and the technical and organizational hub of Europe’s space sector. Missions designed and tested at ESTEC are circling Earth, have landed on planetary bodies and have probed far into the Solar System.
The infrastructure and equipment assembled here, together with the expert knowhow of its 2800 personnel, make ESTEC a unique resource for Europe. The work done here by teams skilled in every aspect of engineering for space has enabled the creation of novel communication, navigation and information services, creating new jobs and growth while improving the lives of European and world citizens.
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Master's degree in Electronics Engineering or Physics, specialized in analog/mixed-signal/RF microelectronics, with five or more years of experience in at least three of the following domains:
o Development of digital signal processing architecture, simulation, implementation and validation, including the coding into a hardware description language (HDL)
o Development of functional and performance test cases and benches for the verification, profiling and validation of the digital signal processing architecture
o Design and test of digital FPGAs and ASICs (specifications, block design, top level integration, design for test, pre and post layout simulation and timing analysis, gates synthesis, support during layout, prototype test and in system validation), with proficiency in HDL (VHDL, Verilog and System-C)
o VLSI IC Design CAD tools such as: Synopsys, CADENCE, Mentor, MATLAB and/or Simulink as well as hardware description languages (VHDL, Verilog, SystemVerilog, SystemC, …)
o FPGA HW and SW of several vendors such as: Xilinx, Microchip (former Microsemi, former ACTEL) and/or NanoXplore
o Preparation of digital FPGA and ASIC design test-benches, for functional verification, validation and electrical characterization, using signal generators, oscilloscopes and signal analyzers
o System administration in UNIX and Windows for IC Design CAD tools.
Important additional assets would be:
- Strong foundations in mathematics, linear algebra, physics and signal processing intuition regarding time/frequency duality, implications of discrete time signal processing, and implementation details on fixed/floating point architectures
- Knowledge of space wireless and wireline communications systems, standards, including physical, data link, network and transport layer design for Spacewire, SpaceFibre, CAN, PCIe, JESD204B/C, Ethernet, IEEE 802.15(a)
- Knowledge of encoding and decoding, forward error correction (FEC) blocks, interleaving, digital pre-distortion, modulation and demodulation (PSK, PAM, QAM, OFDM, etc), spreading and despreading, encryption and decryption and link budget
- Knowledge of converters, baseband sampling, direct digital conversion, digital filters, fast fourier transforms, feature extraction, estimation, decision-making, detection, acquisition, tracking and adaptive control
- Knowledge of standard interfaces architectures: Spacewire, SpaceFibre, PCIe, Ethernet, JESD204B/C, SerDes (NRZ, PAM4), AMBA, AXI, DDR, etc
- Experience in developing automated, self-checking test benches, UVM and/or UVVM
- Experience with Microprocessors (e.g. SPARC, ARM, RISC-V) and HW-SW co-design
- Experience with mitigation of radiation effects and/or radiation tests of FPGAs and/or ASICs.
- Knowledge of the Space environment, its effects on microelectronics devices and related technology, as well as ECSS quality standards applied to space VLSI ICs.
- Experience with using third party Intellectual Property (IP) designs (in VHDL and/or SystemC) is a requirement.
- The candidate should have good inter-personal communication skills and high motivation to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment with confidence and autonomy.
- A good knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of another member state language is considered an asset.
- Experience in the design of complex microelectronics systems, and familiarity with Industry standard VLSI/ASIC/FPGA CAD tools (e.g. CADENCE, SYNOPSYS, MENTOR, MATLAB, SPW) etc. as well as hardware description languages (VHDL and/or Verilog HDL, SystemC) is essential.
- Being familiar with the Space applications of microelectronics, and having knowledge of Space environment and quality requirements will be an important asset, but it is not mandatory.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 03/02/2023