Position: Systems Programmer: z/OS System Support
Location: Amsterdam (2-days onsite, 3-days remote)
Language required: Dutch!
Description: This role provides the underlying system platform programming support on which applications are developed and/or deployed. Their expertise is required in many environments which may include operating systems, application development platforms, networking, packaged software, etc.
Modis is a global consultancy which specializes in IT, Engineering and LifeScience. This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career with Modis, a global consultancy with over 200 clients in the Netherlands. As a Modis consultant you can be assured we take pride in developing your skills and giving you access to cooperate with our global clients. As a global consultancy Modis strives to retain our consultants in order to provide new and exciting opportunities within our local and global community.
- Individuals in this role are able to describe the basics of z/OS architecture and the basic components of a z/OS system;
- Understand the installation options available to install z/OS and z/OS features;
- Implement the steps in the ServerPac build process and the hardware/software pre-reqs for the driving system and target system. This includes the LPARs, POR process, the IPL processes and basic address spaces;
- They understand how to shut down z/OS, implement a basic JES2 batch environment, identify how work can be started in z/OS and the relationship to JES2, understand how JES2 prepares and executes work in z/OS, JES2 start options and parameters that can be customized and use operator commands and SDSF;
- Identify JES3 start options and describe the two networking schemes in z/OS: SNA and IP;
- Establish SNA sessions, and TCP/IP as a physical file system in UNIX System Services;
- Implement and start a local VTAM instance to provide the base for SNA applications such as TSO;
- Start TCPIP stack and check accompanying messages;
- Identify main functions of RACF and understand RACF role in controlling user access to the system;
- Implement RACF including RACF user, group and resource profiles;
- Perform TCAS startup. Understand and use the ISPF/PDF panels;
- Understand how UNIX Systems Services are used in z/OS;
- Use UNIX shell and utilities, application services provided in UNIX System Services and understand how security is handled with UNIX System Services;
- Perform z/OS Data Management. DASD init: VTOC, VTOC index, ICF catalog creation: BCS, VVDS, MCAT/UCAT, IDCAMS utility, DFSMS: DFSMSdss, DFSMShsm, Implement data, storage and management classes;
- Define hierarchical data management - HFS and zFS file systems;
- Define load-parameters for IPL, define symbols for use in systems initialization, define a configuration for system initialization, define library for procedures, identify sysplex resource required to run WLM, list the main components that comprise a WLM service definition for system/sysplex;
- Describe the function of WLM service definition parameters such as workloads, service goals, periods, and WLM subsystems;
- Create and use SMF data sets and record types. Use RMF Monitors. Use System Logger components for Sysplex configuration and CF logstreams, Single system and DASD-only logstreams;
- Use IOCDS and IODF appropriately. Use the HCD definition and process sequence and define configurations by HCD dialogs;
- Use Hardware Configuration Manager, understand SMP/E: Global, Target and DLIB zones;
- Use SYSMODs and create SMP/E working environments. Use batch and ISPF interfaces; Install a user function using Receive, Apply and Accept. Remove a SYSMOD with Restore.
- Hardware knowledge of Z-systems, define an I/O configuration using the Hardware Configuration Definition (HCD) element of z/OS, CHPID mapping, etc. Knowledge of z/Linux is a nice to have.
What do we offer:
- A competitive salary;
- A public transport card or company car (which you can use privately with fuel card!);
- A contribution pension;
- An assigned talent manager who supports your personal growth;
- Holiday payment of 8%;
- A paid holiday leave of 24-days (can be extended to 36 days!);
- And more secondary benefits (like a yearly bonus, discounts on insurance and so on).